Research Analyst with Expertise in Seafood and Fisheries
McKinley Research Group is seeking an individual who is passionate about Alaska’s fishery resources and fish-dependent communities and who brings expertise in seafood, fisheries, and renewable resource issues to our team.
A successful applicant will be familiar with Alaska’s fisheries and have the intellectual curiosity and research skills to become a subject matter expert in Alaska seafood industry markets and economics. The analyst will support our seafood group with research, data analysis and visualization, and regular tracking of relevant fisheries management jurisdictions and market conditions. Frequently referenced data include ex-vessel and first wholesale volume and value, international trade data, wage and salary data, and a wide variety of socioeconomic data, among others.
The applicant must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be detail-oriented, and work effectively in collaboration with others. McKinley Research Group employees are versatile self-starters, interested in working in teams on projects across industries and sectors regardless of their primary area of expertise.
Our seafood and fisheries-related projects include seafood market research, feasibility assessments of fishing and processing infrastructure investments, and economic impact analyses.
Desired Knowledge and Skills
The ideal candidate will have:
- Expertise in one or more facets of Alaska’s fishery and seafood systems or a comparable region.
- A high degree of self-discipline, motivation, and personal responsibility.
- Enthusiasm for learning, feedback, and collaboration.
- The ability to work in small groups as a contributor and to pivot readily between projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience manipulating, analyzing, and visualizing quantitative data.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree plus relevant work experience.
- Professional experience that contributes to McKinley Research Group’s work and mission.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is contingent on professional experience and skills.
- Full-time employees are eligible for McKinley Research Group benefits including:
- Four weeks of personal leave, graduating to 5 weeks with increased years of service.
- Group Health Plan, with McKinley Research Group contributing up to 75 percent of plan cost for employees, spouse, and dependents.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
- Nine paid holidays and two half-day holidays.
Applications and Further Information
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to: Susan Bell, CEO; McKinley Research Group, 9360 Glacier Highway, Suite 201, Juneau, AK 99801.
Questions may be directed to Susan Bell or Erin Harrington.
Susan Bell: firstname.lastname@example.org or 907.796.7620
Erin Harrington: email@example.com or 907.796.7605
If working in a fast-paced, team-oriented, and professionally challenging environment appeals to you, send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Strong writing skills, attention to detail, and a thirst for learning are essential requirements.
- Knowledge of Alaska’s people, communities, organizations, and industries also strongly preferred.
McKinley Research Group Overview
McKinley Research Group’s mission is to enhance the economic, social, and cultural well-being of our clients through superior-quality research and consulting services. Our firm was founded nearly 50 years ago and operated as McDowell Group for many decades. We were acquired by Anchorage-based McKinley Capital Management in early 2020, and now operate as McKinley Research Group. Our offices are located in Juneau and Anchorage, with additional staff working remotely from Washington State. McKinley Capital Management has offices in Alaska, Chicago, New York, and Abu Dhabi.
Our full-service research and consulting group has 20 staff members engaged in market research, business and community development, economic analyses, and program and organizational evaluations. We bring a range of unique talents and skills together to provide value for our clients. The firm has particular expertise in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, and a client and work portfolio that extends nationally and internationally.
Since its establishment in 1972, our firm has conducted approximately 2,000 projects for more than 400 clients. Areas of expertise include seafood and fisheries, health and social services, education, visitor industry, and natural resource development.
McKinley Research Group is part of the McKinley Capital Management family of companies, and subject to Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regulations, including background checks, conflict of interest pre-clearance processes for some personal investments, and other regulations.